We’re busy putting together our brand new programme for secondary schools, Know your Onions, kindly funded by City Bridge Trust.
Know Your Onions
Know your Onions is designed to give secondary school students an opportunity to try cooking and growing to stimulate an interest in food and a love of the natural world. The programme will help schools develop food growing spaces and, with the help of a professional chef, give them top tips on how to cook what they harvest. Students will also get the chance to see food growing at scale with a visit to a Market Garden in London to develop ideas on how to make their school gardens more productive and planet friendly. At the end of the school year, students will harvest and sell their produce at their local street markets to raise money for more food education activities.
We’ll be working with three schools in each of the following London boroughs; Camden, Croydon, Sutton, Waltham Forest and Enfield. Key dates to follow so do keep checking in for programme updates:
November 2016 Launch Event
April 2017 Market Garden visits
April-June 2017 Food growing including a visit from a skilled horticulturist
May 2017 Cooking session with a professional chef
July 2017 Market Days
- Camden Schools - Thursday July 6, 12-2pm, Inverness Street Market
- Durants Special School (Enfield) - Thursday July 6, 10-2pm, Enfield Market
- Croydon & Sutton Schools - Tuesday July 11, 1-2.30pm, Croydon Clocktower
- Waltham Forest Schools - Thursday July 13, 12-2pm, Walthamstow Market
- Enfield Schools - Friday July 14, 12-2pm, Enfield Market