Our 10th Birthday Picnic
500 children gathered at Westminster Abbey's magical College Garden for our 10th Birthday picnic - and this little lad lost a tooth on a mighty crunchy carrot!
Yes - Project Picnic has now been delivered and a joyful affair it was. A true celebration of all things school food with tasty picnic treats galore and enough food education fun to last an academic year! Tom Aikens was on hand to judge the best picnic and we all celebrated together with a great big Carrot Crunch; 500 folk simultaneously crunching on a raw carrot.
So many friends to thank for making it all happen that we feel it calls for a list, so here goes:
- ISS Education for brilliant activities including meet the farmer, smoothie bike, soft tennis, guess the exotic fruit and a spectacular birthday cake!
- Whole Foods Market for the Snack Attack Shack and the Pitta Pop-Up
- Garden Organic for salad seed sowing
- Borough Market for sending along lovely chef Jenny Chandler to get spiralizing for some tasty salads
- Chris Collins for showing us how to knock up an edible hanging basket in just 15 minutes (x 8!)
- Tom Aikens coming over all Mary Berry and judging the picnic treats at our 'gingham altar', now renamed Tom's Tasting Table
- Riverford Organic for supplying 630 tasty carrots for crunching - the surplus are being enjoyed by FareShare projects
- Flying Tiger for supplying 50 picnic rugs - one for every school to keep
- Rocket Gardens for supplying tumbling tomatoes and lovely strawberry plants for Chris' hanging baskets
- Vegware for sending all our consumables so that we could be completely compostable!
- Grow Wild for donating a pack of wildflower seeds to every school
We also had some friends over from Westminster in the shape of Sharon Hodgson MP (chair of the all party group on school food) and longtime friend of SFM, Zac Goldsmith MP. A truly cross-party celebration of school food!
And a final big THANK YOU goes out to all the schools and children that have helped us reach this milestone by engaging in our projects and supporting our campaigns. We've been working together for ten years towards happier, healthier children. You can read more about our birthday celebrations here.
In other news ...
We're delighted to be crowned the winners of a Charity Times Award!
Last week two of our lucky member schools welcomed renowned chefs into their kitchens for Cooking Ideas sessions.
The 2017 Good Food for London and Beyond the Food Bank reports expose which boroughs are showing leadership and which are lagging behind.